Console, Center Console
October 1 2019·
October 1 2019·
Having a comfortable area to conduct our gameplay "research" was crucial for the Dynasty Of Gamers division of Cicada Dynasty. There is a fairly heavy emphasis on gaming in general throughout Cicada culture, so creating an environment dedicated to cognitive synergy betwixt us and our components was ideal. However, the assembly of this unit is but the alpha of an expansive operation, the scope of which is yet to be determined. What has begun as necessity derived from an overcrowded work space, will surely display the efficacity of our resolve. That said ... Let's build a media center for our games n' such.
Yup, that was the sad state of our former game hub. I know, it's shameful, but that was then. Now, we need to find something to take us from "sad state" to "state of the art". We shopped around, and found this really cool media center/fireplace combo on Amazon for about $400 at the time of purchase. With the winter rapidly approaching, and us knowing how the space's temperature can drop, we figured this unit was perfect.
We only really needed space for the three usual console suspects (Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One X), as our battle station always has it's own dedicated area, so this should suite our needs perfectly. The soft LED glow of the display enclosures coupled with the faux fireplace's illumination truly is a thing of beauty to behold, but will the product match the promo? We had to order it to find out, so we did...
To our surprise, the unit was really well packaged with the majority of damage happening at the hands of our own eager staff.
They flipped the s#!+ out of it completely ignoring the clearly visible "Fragile" sticker, as well as dropped it on it's side, and the contents were still in immaculate condition. This prompts me to credit Ameriwood Home for the fine job housing the unit. The time and attention to ensure that the product would be safe during the shipping process has resulted in the unit ultimately being shielded from the harsh realities of physics. We opened it up to ensure that all of the advertised materials were included, which they were, so we proceeded to organize each piece.
We than went through every piece (with the parts list in hand) again, as a precautionary method.
Now that we were certain that all of our ducks were in a row, we began the assembly. The first steps were simple enough, just fastening a few screws.
NOTE: Be sure to attach screws to the proper side of the board (Board A in this instance)
The underside doesn't have the silicone lining seen above.
Once all screws were fastened, we began inserting the wooden dowels.
We poured the included wood glue into each hole before inserting the wooden dowel to reinforce the adhesion. There was a sufficient amount of wood glue in the included receptacle, which was good. The tube lasted the entire build with a tiny portion to spare.
The same was done with multiple boards.
From there, we inserted bolts through two steel bars on either side of the board, as well as at the ends.
We prepped the bolts with the washers before attaching them, as we felt that this would be the most efficient method. It was.
Four feet were installed at each corner and one in the center.
The power drill will make short work of the rest of these boards.
Mix in some good old fashioned hand tools for secure fit that won't strip the screw head.
We then flipped the base board (B) and began attaching the boards to it.
Be sure to study the illustrations well. There are tiny holes on the board intended to gauge it's proper orientation.
With the board flipped upright, we installed and locked them in place.
Now to install the LED light bars on the top board (Board A). We removed the components from the same box containing the acrylic crystals for the faux fireplace.
The LED light bars have screw holes on either end, as well as an adhesive strip in the center.
The bars themselves are well soldered and have a decent length cord.
Securing the strips was as easy as removing the adhesive backing, placing the LED light bars over the corresponding screw holes, and anchoring them in. Two plastic clips (one for each side) were also included to help guide and secure the cord.
Next, we affixed the top surface to our boards and screwed in the back panels.
From there it was a simple matter of removing the glass panel of the faux fireplace, filling it up with the acrylic crystals, and removing any pieces of excess acrylic.
We than attached the faux fireplace to the console, secured it, ran and connected the light bar cables, and placed the glass inserts to our desired heights.
With that, the build is complete!
Now to arrange the consoles in the ... uh, console.
**More Content Updates Regarding Project "Efficacy" Will Follow**